CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

my awesome dinner last night

Soon I will be going to school to study Holistic Nutrition, that is if I can afford the tuition..so anyway, I'm trying to be way healthier as not to be a hypocrite ..so here's this bomb meal I made last night..mind you I couldn't find Hoison sauce for the life of me so I just substituted barbecue sauce...oh and for the salad, I left out the fish sauce because there is nothing about that that sounds appetizing to me. Okay and I skipped the wontons too cause I have to be Gluten Free...you make it how you want



Spiced wonton chips that bake while the steak rests are an easy accompaniment to this fragrant Asian dinner.
Yield

4 servings (serving size: 3 ounces steak and 1/2 cup salad)
Ingredients

* 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
* 1 teaspoon bottled ground fresh ginger
* 1/2 teaspoon grated orange rind
* 1 (1-pound) flank steak, trimmed
* Cooking spray
* 2 cups thinly sliced seeded peeled cucumber
* 1/4 cup thinly vertically sliced red onion
* 1/4 cup matchstick-cut carrot
* 1 tablespoon sugar
* 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
* 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
* 2 teaspoons fish sauce
* 1/8 teaspoon salt

Preparation

1. Preheat broiler.

2. Combine first 3 ingredients in a small bowl. Brush steak with half of hoisin mixture. Place steak on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray. Broil 6 minutes. Turn steak over; brush with remaining hoisin mixture. Broil 6 minutes or until desired degree of doneness. Place steak on a cutting board; let stand 5 minutes.

3. Combine cucumber and remaining ingredients in a bowl; toss to combine. Cut steak diagonally across grain into thin slices. Serve with cucumber salad.

Spiced wonton chips: Thaw 8 wonton wrappers, if frozen. Cut wrappers in half diagonally; brush tops of wrappers evenly with 2 teaspoons dark sesame oil. Combine 1/4 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder and 1/8 teaspoon salt in a small bowl. Sprinkle wrappers evenly with five-spice powder mixture. Bake at 450° for 3 minutes or just until crisp.
Nutritional Information

Calories:
213
Fat:
7.7g (sat 2.9g,mono 2.8g,poly 0.3g)
Protein:
24.6g
Carbohydrate:
11.5g
Fiber:
0.7g
Cholesterol:
38mg
Iron:
1.7mg
Sodium:
501mg
Calcium:
30mg

David Bonom, Cooking Light, APRIL 2009

2 comments:

shelly said...

sounds good! I'm surprised you didn't find hoisin sauce. It should be in the Asian section where you'd buy soy sauce, etc.

karen said...

yeah I looked and no go...it would probably have soy sauce in it anyway, so my substitution was just as good...and hey, it beats curry..lol